One thing I don’t like doing is throwing food away. Especially during the month of Ramadan. So I knew I had to make a pie with the apple and pears that no one seemed to want to eat.
I first made the sweet shortcrust pastry, and while it was sitting in the fridge I made the apple and pear filling.
Ingredients for pastry:
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup icing sugar
125g chilled unsalted butter
Pinch of salt
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp cold water
1) Process the flour, icing sugar salt and butter in a food processor until it resembles a breadcrumbs.
2) Add the egg yolks and process until it all only just comes together in a smooth ball.
3) Shape it into a flat disc and refrigerate for an hour or more before rolling it out.
Ingredients for filling:
2/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling on the pie
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1/4 teaspoon tea masala (This is optional. I found some in my pantry so decided to add it in)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1) Finely grate the lemon zest and set aside.
2)Peel, core and then slice both the apples and pears into thin slices. Squeeze lemon juice over the fruit, then toss fruit with the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and tea masala (optional).
3) Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the fruit and cook, stirring until the sugar dissolves and juices simmer (about 3 minutes).
4) Reduce heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, until the fruit softens and the juices evaporate (about 10 minutes).
5) Evenly mix the flour into the fruit; then cook for about a minute more to thicken the juices slightly.
6) Stir in the vanilla and lemon zest; and remove from the heat to let the filling cool.
Assembling the pie:
1) Heat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
2) Lightly dust the work surface with flour. Roll half the disk of dough into a circle (the same size as your pie pan or tart tin).
2) Transfer the dough into your pan and press firmly onto the sides and bottom of the pan.
3) Fill the crust with the prepared filling.
4) Grate the other half of the dough. Put grated dough on top of the filling, followed by a sprinkle of sugar.
5) Place pie in the fridge for 20 minutes.
6) Put pie in the oven for 15 minutes at 220 degrees. Then reduce temperature to 190 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.